Teacher Trainings 2014
Advanced Yoga Studies
(For current teachers or those wishing to immerse more deeply)
WHEN: March 21 – April 24, 2014
• Beginning just after Mardi Gras Carnival
• Thursday and Friday evenings 5:30 – 9:30pm
• 12 classes total
• 4 hours per class (with personal sadhana included)
• 8 hours per week
• 1 class each week will include a Challenging Level Asana Class
• Payment plans are possible if approved by Michelle
• Suggested Payment plan if one is unable to pay in full is: $400 deposit required with monthly installments after
Studies will include:
• Learning, understanding, practicing, instructing & doing more advanced poses
• Assists & Adjustments refinement & practicum
• Teachings from the Bhagavad Gita
• Teachings from the Bhakti Sutras
• Teachings from Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras
• Sanskrit pronunciation, Mantra recitation & memorization of many classic bhajans and the Sutras (as instructed by Jayashree)
• Learn to write out Devanagari sentences
• Learn to play harmonium, Sargam Scale, South India Hand gestures
Required pre- reading: (to better join the open dharma discussions)
• Bhakti Sutras of Narada translated by William Mahoney or Swami Prabhupad
• Bhagavad Gita translated by Eknath Easwaran
• Yoga Sutras translated by Geshe Michael Roach
• The Journey Within by Radhanath Swami
• Learn Sanskrit in 30 Days by National Integration Language Series (Michelle will purchase in India)
• Jayashree’s Yoga Sutras of Patanjali
• Be Love Now by Ram Dass
• Yoga Assists by Sharon Gannon & David Life
Assignments DURING the course:
• Practice teaching one another dharma, sequencing and assists with feedback
• Be able to share and lead 3 chants WELL in proper Sanskrit and with the harmonium.
• Write 5 dharma talks (with the Swan dharma talk requirements) from the following books
1. Bhakti Sutras
2. Bhagavad Gita
3. Yoga Sutras
4. The Journey Within
5. Be Love Now
Daily challenge regime & documented commitment:
• Making a puja offering & prayer each morning… be it a flower, incense, water, fruit to something beyond yourself
• Meditate 20 minutes per day (6 days per week) for entire training period
• Practice Sanskrit Mantra Recitation 20 minutes per day (6 days per week) for entire training period
• Practice asana 6 times per week. A suggested list of poses will be added on each day will be given to each student
• 3 day juice fast during training period, a suggested juice fast also given
• Write down 3 (going out of your way) acts of loving kindness in daily Seva
• If you are a teacher, Michelle will be coming to your class and slowly, over time, offer you feedback on it
350 Hour Yoga Teacher Training (6 months)
Serve your community in the highest. Delve more deeply into your practice and serving others. Learn the fundamentals of yoga, chanting, voice, meditation, philosophy, anatomy, asana alignment, yoga assists, asana sequencing, ayurvedic medicine, esoteric anatomy, breathing techniques, and community service or seva, so that you honor your Inner teacher.
350 Swan River Yoga Teacher Training Q & A & Satsang
April 1 7:30-8:30pm (after Michelle’s Asana class)
With Michelle Baker
When: May 8 – November 20
Lectures will be Thursday evenings 5:30 -9:30 pm
There is a 6 week summer break August 1 – September 7
A steady asana practice for 2 years
Consistent yoga practice of at least 3 classes per week
You must begin now to come to Michelle’s classes
Payment of your deposit
Sign the Swan River Yoga Code of Ethics form
These required books must be read before Teacher Training begins. A 3-page essay is required is required for each and is to be turned in at the first meeting.
1. Jivamukti Yoga: Practices For Liberating Body and Soul by Sharon Gannon and David Life
2. The Essential Yoga Sutra: Ancient Wisdom for Your Yoga by Geshe Michael Roach and Lama Christie McNally
3. The Journey Home: Autobiography of an American Swami by Radhanath Swami
4 Paths to God: Living the Bhagavad Gita by Ram Dass
5. Light on Yoga: Yoga Dipika by B.K.S. Iyengar
Teacher Training Mentors
Teacher Training Closing Ceremony
2013 Swan River Graduating Class
2012 Swan River Graduating Class
2011 Swan River Graduating Class
2010 Swan River Graduating Class
2009 Swan River Graduating Class
2008 Swan River Graduating Class
Additional required books to have throughout the course:
1. The Anatomy Coloring Book by Wynn Kapit (Please begin on this workbook now as it will be one of your first assignments to be turned in.)
2. Anusara Yoga Teacher Training Manual by John Friend
All books are available in The Blue Moon Boutique within Swan River Yoga Mid-City Mandir.
1. Come to your personal practice at Swan River Yoga 3 times per week. 2 classes MUST be with Michelle. Create a calendar with the title of the class and teachers name for your teacher to sign at the end of class. This must be turned into Michelle monthly. You must also participate in your in-class observations for a duration of your apprenticeship once a week, taking notes, assisting, leading talks, chants, asana, meditation, pranayama, and proper sequencing.
2. After each in-class observation you will have a chat with Michelle to discuss questions and receive an evaluation. Be sure to schedule time for this each week.
3. Complete ALL homework assignments, including the list of books that must be read before you begin, what must be completed for you to graduate, and weekly assignments on the topics we are covering.
4. Attend 1 group meeting per week that is 4 hours long, as well as specific workshops, movie showings, community classes, Satsangs, and group meditations that will be required.
5. Memorize David Life’s back bending series c.d.
6. Complete a 3-day take home test with 350 questions that must be 100%.
7. Create an approved transcribed class of your own that is in proper sequencing.
8. Turn in an APPROVED video of at least 3 people in your class.
9. Teach a peer your transcribed class that will be graded and reviewed by them and turned in.
10. Pass an in-class test of 50 questions on the last day of your course that must be 80% correct to pass.
Studies will include:
+ 130 hours of study with Michelle Baker; Founder of Swan River Yoga
Being a communtiy member, Energetic clearing, Shat Karma Kriyas, social ethics and relations, Subtle Anatomy, Chakras, Prana, Pranayama,Nadis, Granthis, Doshas, Koshas, Jnana, Nada, Raja, Meditation,Mantra, Mala, Japa, receive a mantra, Bhakti, Sanskrit, learning numerous chants, Karma Yoga, Sanskrit Asanas, history of Asana, Vinyasa Krama and the art of sequencing asana, Karma, Gunas, Ahimsa, Brief history of ancient texts of the Bhagavad Gita, Yoga Sutras, and ancient sages, Philosophy of Karma, the margas, and classical, advaita vedanta, and Tantra, Hindu Mythology of the deities, Styles and Masters today in yoga, history of yoga, periods/schools of yoga, teaching beginners and advanced practioners safely, private sessions, Satsang, Diksha, setting up an altar, and Puja.
Jnana Yoga – offering sacred texts, philosophy and personal accounts in dharma talks. Philosophical and group discussion will be lead by Michelle Baker with a portion on Ethics by Keith Porteous.
Bhakti Yoga- offering sacred sound and sanskrit mantra to set an intention Sanskrit, Mantra memorizations, melodies, meanings & basic harmonium will be taught by Michelle Baker with Sargam Scale, Mridanga rhythm & discussions on Bhakti by Sughosh Berg and Art of Vocalization by Sarah Quintana.
Raja Yoga- a daily meditation practice is required as well as learning how to offer meditation. A simple basic guideline will be offered by Michelle Baker and a meditation intensive 6 hour course will be offered by Jarrett Scott.
Requirements & emphasis in teaching is placed on:
Hatha Yoga – Asana with good alignment, physical hands on assists and flow based movement. This portion is taught by Michelle Baker.
Certified Jivamukti Teacher, Anusara Inspired Yoga Teacher, Level III Reiki Master, Advanced Raja Yoga Teacher, Thai Massage Training, Bhagavad Gita Training, serving the gulf region, New Orleans and internationally full-time since 1998, with over 10,000 hours of teaching experience. Michelle is the founder of all 3 Swan River Yoga locations in New Orleans, and the Director of the first Yoga Training Immersion in New Orleans.
Universal Principles of Alignment & Therapeutics will be taught by Kelly Haas
Certified Anusara Teacher and Touring Assistant to John Friend teaching 12 hours of Yoga Therapeautics and Hands on Assists. Proper therapeutic alignment of the lower and upper bodies from core to periphery.
Hands on Assists is assisted by Mary Glackmeyer
Yoga Anatomy will be taught by John DeMahy
Join special guest Mira Shani & Jarret for our Meditation portion of our Training… the path of Raja Yoga
All Swan River Yoga classes include 4 elements and that you will be required to implement:
Theme: a reference to the ancient and modern philosophy of yoga to inspire higher purpose (Jnana Yoga)
Song: mind-clearing mantra to set an elevated mood (Bhakti Yoga)
Physical asana: a flow-based (vinyasa) practice with emphasis on physical alignment and breath (Hatha Yoga)
Meditation and/or breathing exercises known as pranayama. (Raja Yoga)
Verbal and hands on assists, eagle eye, Matrika, The 3 A’s, taking your “seat”, studentship, understanding of proper foundation up to the skull, focal points, and loops and spirals in all poses.
Yoganatomy and Yoga To The Bone: Linking the basic systems of the body to our asana practice. Clearly spotting and articulating healthy and dis-connected muscles arrangements in particular asanas. Studying the Nervous, Cardio Vascular, Lymphatic, Endrocine, Circulatory, Skeletal, & Muscular Systems as related to each asana, and injury response and prevention.
• 6 month course investment: $3,300.
• Full payment, or payment of your $500 (non-refundable) deposit is available on-line now.
• We have an accessible payment plan so all students can apply! The training may be paid in increments so that it is possible while you work and live your life. The first payment, after your deposit to hold your spot, will be due April 1, 2013. The payment period will end Oct 1 of $400 per month. Payments are accepted in the form of cash, check, credit or debit card. All payments must be paid through Mary Glackmeyer. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
• Work-study options are available for class credits.
• All of the teachers in this course are of the highest integrity. This course is far above required standard 200 hour courses in it’s high integrity curriculum. It has some of the Highest quality standards you will find in this region, and the teachings will be the real deal, revealing to you what yoga truly is.
***PLEASE NOTE: This course is geared towards all students that want to deepen their practice in great service of their community. You will get a certificate upon completion that will be honored anywhere you go. You may also apply for Yoga Alliance credentials with this training, as it qualifies to be accepted by YA. You will be ready to serve fully after this course, as you will experience a personal clearing from the inside and more integration of your understanding and community on the out. Some students say it is the cheapest form of therapy out there, as you will go deep into your own internal processing, which only heightens the frequency of those around you. Get ready to take a quantum leap in your evolution. This is the greatest thing you can do for all others, as yoga is not something you do. It is your life. Get ready.
This course requires a lot of you so that you serve your community in the Highest!
You will be ready after this course!
Therapeutic Teacher Training with Kelly Haas
WHEN: May 23-25 & May 30- June 1
*Additional training hours May 26-May 30th
Friday – 6-8pm
Saturday – 9am-1pm & 3-7pm
Sunday – 9am-2pm
This 30-hour course is designed as continuing education for 200 or 500 hour, certified teacher’s who desire a deeper understanding of therapeutic alignment, and how to apply it in classes and privates. As a yoga therapist, our best tools are our eyes and our hands. We will study in-depth the art of training the eye to see physical and energetic imbalances and the art of healing touch, applying our knowledge to the study chronic injuries and working with special populations. This course includes yoga asana, hands-on assists, therapeutic touch, breath work, and the art of restorative.
*In addition to the 30-hour weekend training, teachers are invited to attend five, 2-hour sessions each day from Monday through Friday to practice therapeutic assists and sit in on privates with Kelly.
$600 (*$550 early bird discount by April 1)
$200 – additional for weekday sessions and further private mentoring